The first meeting to establish a permanent home for a Tennis Club in the Rockcliffe area was held on September 9, 1922. At that meeting the following officers were elected: President: D.P., Cruikshank, Vice President: Col. F.L. Armstrong, Secretary-Treasurer: Lawrence J. Burpee and the Executive Committee consisted of H.S. Southam, Dr. R.E. Wodehouse and H.W. Brown. On September 8, 1923, Letters Patent were issued incorporating the Club as the Rockcliffe Lawn Tennis Club.
The current locataion was leased October 28, 1923 from Charles H. Keefer to H.S. Southam at an annual rent of $1.00 with an option to purchase the property for $2,250.00 The option was not acted upon until October 1, 1938 when a sales price of $5000.00 was agreed to. However, after the Club continued to make further payments, the title was transferred by the executors of the estates of Wilson M. Southam and Harry S. Southam for a payment of $4000, on July 25, 1956. Other transfers of land occurred on December 29, 1948 while other residents either sold small pieces of land or waived their rights to land encroaching on their property (such as the practice court area) to allow the Club to expand its property to what it is to day. There were temporary clubhouses beginning in 1923 but the current one was a Lindal Cedar Home, which was erected in 1972.
Over the years, the Club has enjoyed members from all walks of life including some distinguished Canadians such as The Right Honourable Lester B. Pearson, Her Royal Highness Princess Juliana (later Her Majesty the Queen Juliana of the Netherlands,) The Right Honourable John Turner as well as members of the Diplomatic Corps. Our President in 1946/47 was Howard Measures, Canada’s First Chief of Protocol and his son Michael Measures was our President from 1962-1970.
A more detailed History of the Rockcliffe Lawn Tennis Club is available at the Clubhouse.
Rockcliffe Lawn Tennis Club members have included historically distinguished Canadians such as RH Lester B. Pearson, HRH Princess Juliana (later Her Majesty the Queen Juliana of the Netherlands,) and the RH John Turner.
Our club continues to draw a wide range of fascinating members, many with significant global presence, yet an undeniable connection to our local community club.